Thursday, August 9, 2012

Getting Back into the Groove

Ah the post-marathon blues... are surprisingly non-existent! I run for pleasure, not punishment so I still embrace my daily runs.

This morning I ran 7 easy miles on the treadmill at a 8:34min/mile pace. The past few days I've been exploring the trails and streets around my neighborhood without any goal distance/pace. I live in a pretty hilly area, so the relaxed pace was welcomed. I tend to avoid any significant elevation changes during training for fear of getting burnt out and not finishing a workout, which is silly. Hills and tempos are meant to be challenging and will help me meet my goals.

For example, this was my run yesterday.



The downhill was fabulous. However, I definitely took the lazy way out and walk/ran the 2 miles uphill back home.




For some, post-marathon recovery requires lots of rest and no running. I took the following Monday and Tuesday off, but resumed with a 3 miler last Wednesday. My breathing was a little rough; I couldn't quite catch my breath, but within a few days everything resumed to normal. I probably could have used one or two more days of rest but I'm glad to be moving again!

No comments:

Post a Comment